Associate/Senior Associate - Projects & Construction
- Experience Level
- Working Hours
- Full Time
- Practice Area / Department
- Projects & Construction
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Our award-winning construction practice is, justifiably, one of the leaders in the construction legal field; equally comfortable acting on landmark national infrastructure projects or niche social housing developments, and our work takes us across the globe, wherever our clients are active.
Our national offering is a 'life span' service for all construction/engineering related matters, from initial structuring, procurement advice, setting up contracts, appointments, joint ventures and development agreements with backup specialists in employment, energy, property and tax. We are integrated with our colleagues in real estate, housing and regeneration, tax and planning. The team combines legal excellence, commercial acumen and an impressive track record together with a deep understanding of the construction industry. A number of our team are ranked as experts and leading practitioners in their field by Chambers UK and Legal 500.
You'll form part of a strong local team and will be supported in keeping ahead of the latest industry trends and developments to best deliver for our clients. The scope of work in Birmingham is broad and has involved acting on a number of large and varied schemes within the housing, education, leisure and commercial sectors. The team has been appointed to the West Midlands Combined Authority Legal Panel and to UK-Central in connection with arrangements associated with HS2. Recent transactions include advising East Northamptonshire Council in relation to the East Northants Enterprise Centre Project; acting for Seven Capital and Prosperity Developments on various city centre developments in Birmingham; advising various public sector procurement consortia on complex asset management procurement exercises; acting for Belfast City Council on the construction of four new leisure and sports centres; advising and acting for the Trustees of Dorset County Museum on their project to renovate and extend the museum; supporting a variety of new build schools projects for the DfE; and advising Wolverhampton City Council in relation to refurbishment of the Civic Halls.
As part of a 42 strong fee-earner national department you can also expect to work alongside colleagues on work which is being led out of our other UK offices as well as, working closely with our Birmingham real estate practice in advising public sector and private developer clients. For example the team is currently supporting projects in Torbay (housing re-development) , Bracknell (landfill remediation and housing), Hammersmith and Fulham (large scale regeneration and redevelopment) and Camden & Islington (major hospital redevelopment).
- Advising clients including UK and international developers, investors, local, central government departments, employers, housing associations, subcontractors and consultants operating in public and private sector;
- Advising on construction and procurement strategies (including EU procurement work), risk management, procurement and tendering and contract formation;
- Asset management;
- Advising on all aspects of development through design and consultation;
- Advising major contractors, architects and other consultants on their role in various projects including PFI/PPP projects;
- Providing construction due diligence support to the real estate, corporate and banking teams on acquisitions and disposals;
- Advising on development transactions providing input on professional appointments, building contracts, development agreements and related construction documents;
- Advising local authorities and RPs on standard form building contracts adapted from published forms including those written by Trowers & Hamlins (PPC2000 and TPC2005)
- Advising on public procurement processes for a wide variety of works such as schools programmes, public buildings and a diverse range of public services
- Providing support in the closing of PFI and PPP projects including building contracts, professional appointments and facilities management agreements
- Building and maintaining effective client relationships
- Active participation in marketing initiative
- Participating in firm-wide and departmental training sessions
- Training and development of junior legal staff and admin support/PA (where appropriate)
The firm has a Career Development Framework which sets out the competencies we expect of those at this level. In particular, for this role we require:
- Excellent technical skills and innovative approach to their application;
- Proven ability to take on responsibility, manage and progress matters independently where appropriate;
- Strong client focus and service delivery;
- Drive and enthusiasm;
- Commercial awareness;
- Aptitude for business development;
- Substantial client management experience;
- Proven track record in origination/business development and
- Methodical, disciplined and organised approach.
Experience and qualifications required:
- Solid academic record;
- Qualified Solicitor with relevant level of post-qualification experience in non-contentious construction;
- Additional Information
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. All applications will only be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role.