- Experience Level
- Working Hours
- Full Time
- Practice Area / Department
- Support - Finance
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
The Exeter Finance Department consists of 3 people and is part of a wider finance team consisting of 30. This role will be to assist with the collection of national departments debtors liaising with the Credit Manager, department Finance & Admin partners and other Credit Controllers.
- Proactive chasing of clients, by telephone, email and/or letter, to ensure overdue bills are paid within set timescales
- To liaise with Partners and fee earners concerning the approach and action taken to recover overdue debts and to discuss net investment management
- Improve systems and procedures in order to achieve improvement in aged debtors
- To complete client to office transfers where possible
- Liaising with billing team and cashiers to resolve client queries promptly
- Maintain accurate notes on credit control software
- Proactively and promptly dealing with any issues that arise
- Production and dispatch of monthly departmental reports and statistics
- To complete debt write-off slips where necessary and ensuring partner authorisation has been obtained.
- Assist and cover for other members of the Credit Control team, when needed
- Support the Finance team as and when needed, for example, billing drives
- Building and maintaining effective client relationships
- Ability to take initiative and manage own workload
- A strong team player
- An ability to operate autonomously and/or with minimum supervision
- Ability to prioritise work effectively and meet deadlines
- Good communication skills both oral and written
- Commercial awareness
- A positive and proactive attitude
- Flexibility and commitment
- Drive and enthusiasm
- Strength of character and/or robustness
- A willingness to learn
- Strong attention to detail with a methodical and logical approach
- Common sense
- Good humour
- Polite and professional manner
- Two years' credit control experience (essential), within a partnership
- Additional Information
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. All applications will only be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role.