Senior Paralegal/Legal Executive - Commercial Litigation
- Experience Level
- Working Hours
- Full Time
- Practice Area / Department
- Dispute Resolution & Litigation - Commercial Litigation
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Where you'll work
Our practice has extensive experience of acting for public and private sector commercial clients on a broad spectrum of dispute resolution including litigation, arbitration and ADR, providing a first class service to clients.
We have an established commercial litigation practice in Exeter which delivers high quality, practical and commercial dispute resolution services. In order to ensure we are fully able to resource the growing number of work opportunities arising we are seeking to appoint a paralegal to be based in Exeter
What you'll be doing
- Assisting the team with advising a mixed client base of commercial sector clients on a broad range of commercial disputes;
- Assisting the team advise on commercial litigation matters both in writing and by telephone;
- Assisting the team negotiate settlements with opposing parties and advising clients on this subject
- Drafting court proceedings, witness statements and affidavits
- Preparing trial bundles
- Progressing and managing cases that proceed to trial by complying with Court directions such as disclosure and instructing counsel
- Building and maintaining effective client relationships
- Active participation in marketing initiatives
- Participating in firm-wide, office and departmental training sessions
- Ensuring files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures.
What you'll need
The firm has a competency framework for paralegals and in particular for this role we require:
- Strong technical skills;
- Client focus;
- Drive and enthusiasm.
- Team based approach;
- Commercial awareness;
- Ability to work to deadlines;
- Good interpersonal skills, presenting and client facing skills.
- Excellent academic record;
- Graduate or CILEx with experience of advising on a broad range of litigation matters preferably commercial
- Experience and interest in marketing;
- An ability to work autonomously with minimum supervision – a self-starter
- Additional Information
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. All applications will only be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role.