Solicitor - Commercial Litigation
- Experience Level
- Entry Level
- Working Hours
- Full Time
- Practice Area / Department
- Dispute Resolution & Litigation - Commercial Litigation
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
Who we are
We are a global law firm that continues to grow in size, reputation and expertise. As a result we are looking to recruit a Solicitor 0-3 PQE to join our burgeoning 5 lawyer Commercial Litigation team in Exeter led by Partner, Kathryn Insall who joined us in 2016 from Clyde & Co. The role will provide exposure to incredibly varied dispute resolution work of real importance, to include litigation, arbitration, ADR for a range local, national and international clients.
We encourage our lawyers to think beyond the law and into the commercial by acquiring excellent technical expertise, client management and profile raising skills. If you can bring your ideas, experiences and expertise, we can give you an opportunity to succeed.
We know that the best solutions are found when you're collaborating which is why you will be well supported at partner level and by other fee-earners not just in your immediate team but throughout the whole department.
What you'll be doing
- Caseload will consist of a variety of commercial litigation matters, to include breach of commercial contracts (including banking and IT), aerospace, disputes effecting the health & care sector, fraud claims, professional negligence, judicial review, contentious trust and probate matters and contentious procurement matters in the High Court, domestic and international arbitration and mediation / other forms of ADR. A proportion of the department’s work has an international element, and overseas travel may be required;
- Handling own caseload (subject to supervision);
- Assisting partners and senior solicitors with more substantial disputes;
- Build and maintain effective client relationships;
- Participation actively in marketing initiatives, including training days / seminars;
- Ensure files are managed in compliance with Lexcel procedures;
- Participate in firm-wide and departmental training sessions;
- Manage files, time and billing efficiently and in a cost-effective manner;
- Active participation in marketing initiatives, including attending conferences, giving and assisting with presentations, writing articles and creating marketing materials; and
- Training and development of junior staff (where appropriate).
What you'll need
The firm operates a Career Development Framework, a merit based and clearly defined career structure which sets out the competencies we expect of those at the solicitor grade, and beyond. In particular, for this role we require:
- Proven ability to take on responsibility and manage files, independently where appropriate;
- Strong client focus and a commitment to service delivery; and
- Drive and enthusiasm;
- Flexibility and a can do attitude.
- Excellent academic record
- Newly or recently qualified solicitor
- Experience in commercial litigation in private practice as a trainee, paralegal or qualified solicitor
- Experience of running some disputes from start to finish
- Managing client relationships
- Additional Information
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. All applications will only be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role.